The Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) today announced the Big Bash League (BBL) and Women's Big Bash League (WBBL) All-Star Teams of the Year for 2015-16, which is voted on by the players.
Michael Hussey demonstrated that age nor semi-retirement is a hurdle, voted in as the captain of the BBL side after he led his Sydney Thunder to their first title. He made a significant contribution with the bat throughout the tournament, collecting 306 runs at 43.71, including an unbeaten 80 in the Thunder's opening fixture against their cross-town rivals, the Sixers.
Usman Khawaja continued his incredible summer after piling on 345 runs at 172.50 in just four appearances for the Thunder. Top run scorer and Player of the Tournament Chris Lynn (378 runs at 54.00) sits at first drop, while Tim Paine takes the gloves (7 catches, 1 stumping - 239 runs at 34.14).
Leading wicket taker Clint McKay was the pick of the bowlers with 18 wickets at 15.22 and joined fellow bowlers Andrew Tye (12 at 18.00), Adil Rashid (16 at 14.12) and Andre Russel (16 wickets at 18.87) in the XI.
WBBL Player of the Tournament Meg Lanning headlines the women's team after she topped the batters with 560 runs at 56.00. The All-Star skipper is in good company at the top of the order with Charlotte Edwards (462 runs at 42.00) and Beth Mooney (400 runs at 33.33).
Rene Farrell's 26 wickets at 12.96 has her fronting a star-studded bowling attack that includes 17-year-old Lauren Cheatle (18 wickets at 19.72) and Melbourne spin duo Molly Strano (18 wickets at 16.72 for the Renegades) and Kristen Beams (14 wickets at 15.92 for the Stars).
The ACA developed the All*Star Awards in 2006-07 to recognise the achievements of the best performed players in the Domestic competitions.
The All*Star teams for all competitions are voted on by all contracted Cricket Australia, State, BBL, WBBL and Rookie players. The teams are voted on in batting order and are made up of the best performed male and female players in each form of the game, as judged by their peers. Players cannot vote for members of their own team.
BBL All-Star Team of the Year
- Usman Khawaja (Sydney Thunder)
- Shaun Marsh (Perth Scorchers)
- Chris Lynn (Brisbane Heat)
- Travis Head (Adelaide Strikers)
- Michael Hussey (Sydney Thunder)
- Dwayne Bravo (Melbourne Renegades)
- Tim Paine (Hobart Hurricanes) (wk)
- Andre Russell (Sydney Thunder)
- Adil Rashid (Adelaide Strikers)
- Andrew Tye (Perth Scorchers)
- Clint McKay (Sydney Thunder)
- Aaron Finch (Melbourne Renegades)
Captain: Michael Hussey
Player of the Tournament: Chris Lynn
WBBL All-Star Team of the Year
- Meg Lanning (Melbourne Stars)
- Charlotte Edwards (Perth Scorchers)
- Beth Mooney (Brisbane Heat) (wk)
- Sarah McGlashan (Sydney Sixers)
- Ellyse Perry (Sydney Sixers)
- Alex Blackwell (Sydney Thunder)
- Sarah Coyte (Adelaide Strikers)
- Rene Farrell (Sydney Thunder)
- Molly Strano (Melbourne Renegades)
- Kristen Beams (Melbourne Stars)
- Lauren Cheatle (Sydney Thunder)
- Veronica Pyke (Hobart Hurricanes)
Captain: Meg Lanning
Player of the Tournament: Meg Lanning