The Australian Cricketers’ Association has announced its player-voted BBL All*Star Team of the Year for 2017/18.
Players were given the opportunity to vote on who they felt had the biggest impact upon the competition, and who they believed should be captain.
Cameron White was voted as captain as he guided the Melbourne Renegades to their first semi-final appearance in five years. It’s the second consecutive season White has been named as captain of an ACA All Star Team.
"Any time you win an award or get selected in a team that's voted on by your peers, it's a big honour and privilege," White said.
"It's always nice to make a few runs and more importantly help contribute to a couple of wins for the Renegades and we were able to win enough games to get into a final. It was nice to play well enough to get another opportunity (in the Australian ODI team).
"It’s all about roles and match ups in T20 these days. I’m happy to try and play my role for the team."
Hobart Hurricanes' D'Arcy Short polled the most votes after finishing the 2017-18 season with a record high 504 runs, the most ever runs accumulated in a BBL season, at an average of 56.00. Short also posted the highest ever BBL score after making an unbeaten 122 (69) against the Brisbane Heat.
Five of the players named also received selection into the Australian national team over the summer. Short, Alex Carey, White, Glenn Maxwell and Andrew Tye all represented Australia across either T20 or ODI formats.
Afghani international Rashid Kahn was voted as the pick of the bowlers. The leg spinner took 18 wickets with an economy rate of 5.65.
ACA General Manager Cricket Operations Brendan Drew congratulated those selected in the team.
“Congratulations to those selected in this year’s ACA All*Star BBL & WBBL Teams of the Year.
“To be selected by your peers in the team of the year is fantastic acknowledgement for the season these players have had.
“Each player should be very proud of their achievements, hopefully they can carry their form through to the end of the Australian domestic season.”
ACA BBL All*Star Team of the Year 2017-18
1. D'Arcy Short (504 runs at 56.00) Hobart Hurricanes
2. Alex Carey (WK) (425 runs at 53.15) Adelaide Strikers
3. Shane Watson (331 runs at 36.78 & 3 wickets) Sydney Thunder
4. Cameron White (C) (302 runs at 100.67) Melbourne Renegades
5. Glenn Maxwell (299 runs at 37.38) Melbourne Stars
6. Tom Cooper (262 runs at 43.67) Melbourne Renegades
7. Ashton Turner (250 runs at 35.71) Perth Scorchers
8. Jofra Archer (15 wickets at 19.67) Hobart Hurricanes
9. Rashid Khan (17 wickets at 13.00) Adelaide Strikers
10. Andrew Tye (16 wickets at 12.00) Perth Scorchers
11. Fawad Ahmed (12 wickets at 20.42) Sydney Thunder
12. Dwayne Bravo (17 wickets at 18.59) Melbourne Renegades